Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Post-op Day 3


Last night did not go as smoothly as the night before, Mom did not sleep well because of the pain. I ended up giving Mom her pain medication along with the anti-nausea around 9ish and got her and Dad settled into bed. Well around 12:30 last mom woke me up as she was headed to the restroom, saying she was having A LOT of pain. For some reason this surgery the pain has been more intense, she's described it as a burning sensation. She did have one more incision with a bone worked on that I wasn't aware of before, I guess one more thing makes all the difference...So I first gave her a roll to eat and then another dose of the oxycodone, but not the phenergan (anti-nausea), because it wasn't time yet for that. Thank-goodness it all went smoothly with no nausea. Then I think it was around 6:30 she called to me as I was checking on her, saying it was really hurting again. I wanted to get some breakfast in her first, but she didn't want to wait for that, so I gave her some Tylenol (1 pill was all we had left, I need to buy some more today for her :) . That didn't cut it, so I gave her 1/2 tablet of the Norco that she had left over from her previous surgery with her breakfast a little while later. Still didn't cut it, and after getting her settled in the chair, she said her pain level was around an 7-8 out of ten! She didn't want to take any more, but I guess I won in this case because I ended up giving her 2 oxycodones, her baby aspirin AND the phenergan--I wanted to get on top of the pain! Well it did the trick=no pain; with extreme sleepiness being a major side-effect. That's okay, because she needs to be resting anyways. I've been watching her closely making sure her respirations are up to speed like they should be, and all is well in that area. I'm glad we were able to get her pain back under control, even if I had to zonker her! I've learned through nursing that being free of pain is a crucial aspect of the healing process. So now she rests. She's been so sweet through it all, always telling me thank-you and how much she appreciates me doing this. I couldn't have asked for a better patient...
UPDATE (11:30): Just got back from the grocery store, running errands. It was good because it gave both Mom and Dad some uninterrupted sleep! Also, I stand corrected! Mom said that I had gotten up one more time with her during the night, I think it was around 3 or 4 in the morning. It was a busy night, I think I was trying to block it all out, LOL!
Dad came home early from the mission, around 10 AM, because he isn't feeling well, guess I'll have two to take care of now! :) Hopefully he starts feeling better because I'm suppossed to take him in tomorrow to have three wisdom teeth pulled that Mom set up AND I'm supposed to go back home tomorrow! Busy, busy!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Holy Moly! I know I've already said it, but I am SO glad you are there!!! I told Mom I would come down if she needs me to, but she says she's ok...She was never in this much pain with the last surgery. Please let me know what you think... Thanks so much for continued updates.

Alison Hixson said...

Wow, Aunt Ilene! I am so sorry you are having to go through this! You are quite a trooper! Is this the same foot you had surgery on last time? It sounds like Angela has been a lifesaver for you! I am so glad you have someone that knows so much about medicine to help you out! That is great! I hope the recovery keeps on the up hill and that your back on your feet soon!
Love, Alison