Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Post-op Day 2

Last night I got mom to bed and settled, around 9:30, but wanted to wait until 11PM to give her the pain pill so that she could take the phenergan (anti-nausea) with it (the phenergan wasn't due till then. ) I gave her the option of taking the tylenol around 9 but she said that she really wasn't feeling any pain. At 11 it was the same thing, and so mom went the WHOLE NIGHT without any pain medication and slept great! This morning though when she got up to use the restroom around 7:30, the pain was severe. We were able to get it under control with two pain pills, instead of the usual one along with the anti-nausea medication and aspirin. About three hours later I gave her Tylenol to take the edge off, and around 2 we will give the big stuff again :)

Mom said the pain seems stronger this time, so we are trying to stay on top of it. Also, the way the cast was cut this time was lower, so it has been digging into her toes, so I tucked some cotton balls under her toes (you might be able to tell in the picture), to help and she said that made a big difference. Also the area she feels the pain this time is different, and weird considering it isn't at the surgical site, it's at the base of her leg on the top! I'm trying to keep her foot elevated and ice off and on 20 minutes at a time. It's been great to be able to give back this time, since Mom has given so much to me mutiple times throughout my life. I've found the time relaxing, satisfying, and wonderful to be able to sit with Mom and just chat and have some heart to heart. I love my mom! She is an amazing spiritual giant and such a strong example to me!

Below is a side by side picture of Mom's feet and legs to show how she will look in a few! Dr. Morgan when he looked at her left foot yesterday said that her foot was still a little swollen, but that was to be expected and normal. Mom is just as cheerful and go-getter as ever! I've had to remind her several times to just take it easy, that I'm here to help her while she recovers. It has been a great honor to be able to do this for my angel mother. Now I need to leave to get her some vegetable soup, a roll and juice! Till the next update...




Even having surgery won't keep Mom down!! Here's a video of her after lunch cracking some walnuts she got from Aunt Coleen! (She doesn't know I'm video-taping her by the way...)



3 comments:

Karla y los Niños said...

Hi Ilene is Karla I really hope that you have a quick recovering after the surgery we are in Chile righ now but we will move again to USA in january I hope you dont mine that I check your blog sorry am loosing my english well take care. with love the cooks in chile

Grandma B said...

Karla,
So good to hear from you. We hope you are doing well. Where will be living when you come back to the USA? Take care and God Bless, Ilene

Karla y los Niños said...

Hi Ilene I dont know yet where I have 3 choices that I can choose
Colorado just because I have friends there
Idaho because is cheaper
California because the kids can be close to brett
But I didtn decide yet went the time get close by I will choose one . Love you and please say Hi to Robert from me